In preparation for your upcoming podcast assignment, I want you to listen to some audio.
First, listen to this introduction to Vanderbilt English major Anna Butrico’s senior thesis on the rhetoric of podcasting. It’s 13 minutes long, and it provides a useful introduction to the medium of podcasting.
Then, listen to a few podcast episodes that deal with cryptography. Listen to at least three episodes from the lists below, including at least one episode from List A and at least one episode from List B.
- Vox Ex Machina, 99% Invisible episode 208
- Numbers Stations, 99% Invisible episode 97
- Cipher, or Greenhow Girls, The Memory Palace episode 111
- A Killer on the Loose: The Zodiac Ciphers, One-Time Pod episode 1
- The VIC Cipher, One-Time Pod episode 14
- The Panizzardi Telegram, One-Time Pod episode 24
For your blog post, select one of the podcast episodes above and respond to one or more of the following questions:
- What did you find most interesting about the episode?
- What did the podcast producer do to make the material interesting?
- What did the producer do to make technical aspects of the material accessible?
- Based on this episode, what ideas do you have for the podcast episode you will produce? (Consider both topic and format.)
Your blog post should be between 200 and 400 words and is due by 9 a.m. on Monday, October 7th.