by Shivam Mohite
The Data Encryption Standard served as the precursor for many of the encryption algorithms that would be employed during the digital age. The prevalent encryption method for 20 years following its inception, DES - and its first iteration, LUCIFER - were instrumental in concealing American communications from malicious foreign operatives. This podcast will not only explore the development of the Data Encryption Standard, but the historical context surrounding its inception. While the Data Encryption Standard has now been proven to be breakable by modern computers, the theory underpinning its mechanics proved to be a lasting strategy when developing new encryption algorithms. DES is, therefore, rightfully regarded as the mother of all modern encryption algorithms.
- Deciphering Encryption: The DES Block Cipher. (2018, September 19). Retrieved from https://graquantum.com/deciphering-encryption-des-block-cipher/.
- Grabbe, J. O. (n.d.). The DES Algorithm Illustrated. Retrieved from http://page.math.tu-berlin.de/~kant/teaching/hess/krypto-ws2006/des.htm.
- Junod, P. (n.d.). Six ways to break DES. Retrieved from https://lasec.epfl.ch/memo/memo_des.shtml.
Retrieved from https://http://www.orangefreesounds.com/category/music/background-music/
- Dreamy Ambient Background Music Loop
- Electronic Beat
- Hi tech Electronic Background Music 120 bpm
- Lounge Deep House Chillout Music Synth Theme
- Relaxing Thinking Time Music
Retrieved from http://soundbible.com/tags-wind.html
- Wind Blowing
Image: DES Untwisted Ladder, Wikimedia Commons